Monday, July 27, 2009

God 1 - Elks Club 0

There was some crazy weather tonight with some pretty severe weather out there. I was walking home at about 6PM and all hell broke loose. The thunder was so loud I thought my windows were going to break. One clasp of thunder lasted almost 15 seconds which was so loud I had to cover my ears. Pretty harsh considering I am almost as deaf as Beethoven. :) There was also hail that I thought could crack my windows and then poof it was over. That was no doubt a severe thunderstorm.

Editor's note: see http://www.hoboken411.com/ for extensive coverage of the flooding in town.

I walked up to the Elysian to have dinner and outside the Elks Club the fire department was there. I was told by lightning struck the left corner of the Elks Club Roof. Below are photos of the aftermath. The fire department brought their ladder truck to inspect the roof for safety issues to ensure that there was no more loose debris.


Here are some photos of the aftermath:


Not an Asteroid fragment, but a piece of stone from the Elks left roof cornice

The HFD uses its ladder truck to inspect the roof for any loose materials as a matter of public safety

Elks bartender Jamie pointing out the location of the lightening strike. He seems happy doesn't he?

Fortunately, no one was hurt as a result of the lightening strike. The next question is will this be covered by the insurance or considered an act of god?

Share/Bookmark