Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Home Video - Peter Cammarano Must Resign Protest - City Hall 7/27/2009

Here is the video from last night's protest at City Hall. There were about 300-400 people in front of City Hall as well as another 150 across the street that were watching from afar. Revolt, represented by Scott Delea gave a brief statement at 5PM and by 6:15 PM the protest had hit its peak crowd.

The people made the usual arguments for his resignation. Three City Councilpeople stopped by to make a brief appearance: Beth Mason, Ravi Bhalla, and from across the street Dave Mello.

The rally was peaceful though many who grabbed the bullhorn were quite passionate and angry about recent events. There were a few Cammarano supporters there but the crowd was 99% there to call for his resignation.

On a more sad note a Cammarano supporter accross who I believe was homeless or from section 8 housing was screaming at two of my Jewish friends. She claimed that Zimmer was behind a Jewish conspiracy to take over the Office of Mayor. In attempt to diffuse the situation as one of my friends was really getting unnerved, I told the woman that I am neither Jewish or Christian and I voted for Zimmer. She looked at me puzzled and I followed up with "I am Bhuddist, look at my big belly" which I then proceeded to rub. :) The fact that I was nuttier than her was enough to get her to move on. Oy vey! It is a shame that there is such anti-semitism in Hoboken politics albeit in a woman whose mental capacity I estimate to be somewhat diminished. Despite that assessment I still have a tough time accepting there is still so much hatred.

I beleieve the rally served a public good in that it let people vent their anger peacefully. The police handled it well and I don't believe there were any arrests or citations. I would like to see the PBA who endorsed Peter Cammarano make a statement one way or the other.


Share/Bookmark