Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Blog Watch- Tony Soares responds on NJ.com Hoboken Now Forum

As reported in the Hoboken Journal, Tony Soares was appointed to the Zoning Board by Dave Roberts.

Tony was challenged by a poster that he did not follow the proper process. It is Tony's and also my opinion that he did since the appoint is the Mayor's and not City Council's. That decision is on the Mayor. Here is Tony's response http://www.nj.com/forums/hoboken/index.ssf (post #14652):

It's surprising that my application being sent to the Clerks office, The Mayor, Council Members (Including the very sponsor of the ordinance) received my letter on December 22nd.I did not hear a peep or response from the very council person who you put forth as proponent of open government despite sending them communications on two occasions.
I know of 3 others that applied and they were great candidates, I would have been just as pleased if they were selected. You obviously are more interested in tainting this appointment than hoping this is a sign of change.


As for Mr Novak, I never met him but you might want to ask Eric Kurta (President of POG) what he thinks of him, Mr Novak was apparently very active in the First War Block Association for many years. Certainly a great reform minded group.

I look forward to someone challenging this tonight, they will be totally embarrassed.
And for the record I'm not Mr. Lenz's Headhunter nor do I sell my soul, if that was the case I would have been sitting where Peter Cammarano sits today.


So you can continue to spin this in to something bad when the truth is, I did my part. And by the way, if it wasn't advertised and nobody knew about these vacancies, how did so many people you know apply?

The three I am aware are: Myself, Richard White and John Branciforte.
Mr. White and Mr Branciforte both worked on election campaigns of mine, are they tainted too?


I'm not going to engage you any longer. See you at the council meeting tonight.

My opinion: Tony is very smart and is not a Roberts patsy. He will vote his conscience and support balanced development. I would hope that he does so with a certain level of decorum and also hope that he doesn't go into some of his tirades (while extremely entertaining can be self-destructive to what he hopes to accomplish)

John Branciforte also sent his resume. I think John would have also been great but there were only two slots open. Tony will be informed and independent.

The Real question is: Why didn't Dave Roberts stuff the board with developer types? Did he have a change of heart? Better yet, does Roberts plan to rebrand himself and run as a reformer again? What a hoot!

Or did the Mayor in a swan song move actually try to do the right thing? ◦
Share/Bookmark