Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Letter From Ravi - On Remarks from Peter Cammarano Druing Last Debate

Here is an email update from Ravi Bhalla regarding remarks last week made by Peter Cammarano about Ravi during the debate that according to Ravi were slanderous. Here is his letter on the topic:

Dear Friends,

I regret to report that during last week's City Council debates, Peter Cammarano made slanderous personal attacks against me in relation to my years of service as an attorney for the Hoboken Rent Leveling & Stabilization Board. Mr. Cammarano, in his remarks, either lied intentionally or demonstrated a reckless disregard for the truth.

Mr. Cammarano's remarks constituted slander and he could be held liable if a legal action is brought against him for his statements about me at the debate.

More importantly, Mr. Cammarano's personal attack against me is emblematic of the fact that he appears to be willing to speak outright falsehoods if it advances his personal political interests. Mr. Cammarano asserted numerous other falsehoods the debate, too numerous to name here, which in my mind confirm he is untrustworthy.

In response to Mr. Cammarano's remarks, I would like to share with you a letter written by Carole McLaughlin. Carole was born and raised in Hoboken, spent 14 years as a Rent Control Administrator, and worked with me closely during my service as Rent Board Attorney. Here is her response to Mr. Cammarano's allegations (link here).Thank you for your time and please remember to vote for Dawn Zimmer and the Change that Works City Council Slate - C on June 9th.

Sincerely,
Ravi Bhalla

P.S. I have included Carole's response letter below as well.


May 31, 2009 Hoboken Reporter Letter to the Editor from Carol McLauhlin

Dear Editor:

I was born and raised in Hoboken and served the City of Hoboken for 27 years, 14 of which were as the Administrator of the Rent Control Office in City Hall. I write this letter to address disturbing remarks made by mayoral candidate Peter Cammarano at recent debates about council candidate Ravi S. Bhalla, relating to Ravi's service as the Rent Board Attorney for Hoboken.

During the period of time I worked with Ravi, which was over one year, he provided exceptional service as an attorney to both the Rent Board and the Rent Control Office. Ravi was always well prepared, understood the issues at hand, and provided objective and sound advice to the board members.

Ravi was never "churning the file" as Mr. Cammarano claims, but rather he was doing the exact opposite. I can recall several occasions where Ravi specifically advised the Board NOT to appeal adverse decisions against the Rent Board on the basis of the likelihood of success on an appeal AND the additional attorneys' fees the City would have to expend by retaining him to file appeals. Ravi's advice was consistently based on the City's best legal and financial interests, not his own personal interests.

Furthermore, contrary to Mr. Cammarano's claims that Ravi is an attorney that is "part of the problem," my experience working closely with him shows that he is exactly the type of person Hoboken should be proud to have as an advocate for our City's interests. Ravi both is an honest and decent human being, and an excellent attorney. I am personally offended that Mr. Cammarano would try to attack Ravi's character and integrity for his own political gain.

As someone who has lived here in Hoboken my whole life, I can tell you from my personal experience that I would be honored to have Ravi as my Councilman, and hope you consider the above information when casting your vote for mayor and city council on June 9th.

Sincerely,

Carole McLaughlin ◦
Share/Bookmark