Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bard of Hoboken on Development has Poetic Accomplice

On the MSV Blog earlier today, I posted a poem regarding the perils of up-zoning in Hoboken yielding to disastrous results for residents in terms of quality of life and the taxpayer for the additional services that would have to be provided to accommodate such up-zoning. The poem was inspired by a thread on tonight's zoning board meeting and a verbal pun by poster p1ywood, a master punologist.

Link to original poem is here:
http://hobokenhorse.blogspot.com/2010/07/bard-of-hoboken-recasts-hoboken-pie.html

Normally I would be content to just leave it on the MSV blog as sometimes I just like to be a guest over there but I recieved a contribution to the second verse by blogger ss1959 and figured it would be idea to post here as well. It is always good to have a poetic Robin to my Batman in super hero parlance.

After al Jib-Jab is not a creative outlet for me until at least August 3rd so back to the poems and limericks for a humorous look back at a favorite quote of mine from campaigns past.

Bye Bye Mrs. Develop or Die!:
(to the tune of American Pie by Don McClean)

A long long time ago
I can still remember
How that high rises used to make her smile
And I knew if she had her chance
That she could make those developers dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while
But D variances made me shiver
With every favor she'd deliver
Bad news to the taxpayer
She couldn't take not being Mayor
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about yet another bribe
But something touched her deep inside
The day that development died.

.......

So bye bye "Mrs. Develop or Die!":
Ran her campaign with the Russos but the levee was dry
And them developers were drinking whiskey and rye
Singing this'll be the day that we'll die
This'll be the day that we'll die.

(Second Verse by blogger ss1959)

And then there we were all in this place,
A developed town without any green space,
With no time left to start again,
So watch the developers be so nimble,
As Camaranno sat at the Malibu Diner window,
Cause, developers are the devil’s only friend,
And as I watched the massive D variance building rise with rage,
No more develop or die here, go to hell,
and just break that Satanic spell,
And as stories climbed high into the night,
I saw Beth Mason laughing with delight,
The day that Hoboken died…
Share/Bookmark