Friday, December 19, 2008

Purple Pillow Limerick






















Update: 1/14/2009 I wrote this poem at a time I was upset with the developments of the Mason campaign, not because of issues she stands for but what I perceived to be her loyal core of supporters being critical of every word I wrote. I stand by the initial post that got me upset (I was misinterpreted in my challenge to Mike Lenz) which was the impetus for the original NJ.com post that spoke of a few minor tactical and not strategic areas where I disagreed . We all arrive at potential support of a candidate via many different paths and mine was and is of that someone looking for the best option given the choices. I have since been able to meet with Beth and have a good conversation about the problems and potential solutions for Hoboken and its future.

As far as trying to attribute NJ.com posters with actual people, that quest is futile at best and I admit that I was played on that one. The actual color of the object in the poem may have actually been blue. I can be like a bull in a china shop, I do take risks and I am not infallible. After hearing Lane Bjardi speak at the Board of Ed meeting last night, I was reminded that him and I both want the same things , a better Hoboken. I do respect what he brings to the table in terms of his commitment to a discourse on how to improve the City we love.

The intention of this poem was never to divide but to rather vent some of my frustrations and move on. If it has had that effect than I apologize but I also don't want to sound full of myself that an admittedly sophomoric poem could have such and effect.

Here is the original poem left up as a reminder of the fallibility of the human condition with the last defamatory paragraph removed:

This is the Purple Pillow Limerick that was once posted on Hoboken 411 but pulled after 24 hours for unspecified and unverifiable reasons recently.

A plush purple pillow was once placed,
with such servile attentive haste,
it was placed with great care,
to comfort Mason's derriere,
but it was Roberts who about the budget was disgraced.

Here is the explanation for this poem for whom this is a City Council meeting inside joke:

During the campaign for second ward Beth Mason ran against Richard Tremetidi. I give Beth lot of credit for running a mostly above board campaign which she won. Anyway, in that campaign one of Richie T’s goons wrote a midnight flyer depicting Beth as Royalty which was wrong because you can’t blame Beth for having a husband with a lucrative business. After all, Roberts is Mr. Richie Rich.

At a council meeting a purple pillow was placed for Mason’s comfort by one of her supporters and it was done in such a way that it resembled a man servant tending to her queen’s needs.

Remember too that purple is a royal color. The irony is just funny. Now I want to encourage anyone else to give their fellow neighbor comfort to do so. Some of Beth’s critics on this NJ.com Hoboken Forum have brought the pillow incident up. I wrote my limerick to tell her supporters to lighten up, accept that she is not the Mayoral Messiah, and not forget that Roberts is the one to really blame for all of this. ◦
Share/Bookmark