Friday, January 23, 2009

Donna Antonucci - Revised Fire Department Analysis

Donna Antonucci had previously submitted a few slides to local media (Hoboken411) on her proposal for the Fire Department's staffing levels:

I made a mistake on the PPT. Instead of using the Battalion Chief and Captain incomes when calculating saves, I used the Firefighter average of $41K a year which is less than 1/3 of the salary of a BC and almost exactly 1/3 of a Captains pay.

The save to bring the HFD to a 1:5 ratio of management to non-management would be $5.5MM ongoing.

I am going to send a note to the council with these. I sat next to Chief Blohm after I spoke and he also pointed out another line on the budget where I would find another $91K spent on the Safer grant. He also pointed out that the $10.3MM in healthcare costs would not only cover the 542 full time employees but retirees as well. I don't have the number of retirees but note such on the document and will add that to the denominator when I get it.

Despite the outburst last night, this has started the dialogue on the detail as I had hoped.

Thanks,
Donna





My take: After the well documented outburst I witnessed for myself Donna and Acting Chief Blohm sitting right next to each other and having a civil conversation and at one point even having a mutual laugh together. It is these frank discussions with cooler heads that will help Hoboken heal the division that is before us. Both taxpayers and public employees must work to understand what is needed to run this town and reduce unecessary expenses accordingly. I hear the public employees loud and clear on the sacrifices that they make but in the fiscal crisis that is affecting Hoboken and the country as a whole it has become apparent that Hoboken can no longer do business as usual.This isn't just comming from me, the State of New Jersey is urging all scholl districts and municipalities to tighten their belts. I feel if the tax burden was indeed shared more equally, there would be a much better spirit of cooperation. ◦
Share/Bookmark