Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mike Russo on Church Square Towers Pilot - Follow Up

Update: This story was originally posted on 1/8/2009. In response to my initial reaction to Councilman Russo's passionate speech at the 1/7/2009 City Council meeting on the Church Square Towers Pilot I spoke to him briefly at the Hoboken Board of Education Meeting on 1/13/2009. I told him that some listeners including myself thought that his remarks were addressed at taxpayers such as myself. He clarified his position to me that it was only addressed to those specific emails. It felt good to clear the air with him on that. At the following Council meeting the tone was much more about fact finding and he appreciated the efforts of members of Revolt who had done some research on the facts and legalities concerning this property. This development is a good sign as an honest inquiry is needed to determine the best course of action for Hoboken taxpayers and those residents in need of subsidized housing who want to stay in Hoboken. Now that is some progress beyond the divisiveness we have seen as of late.

Original Story:

This is from the City Council Meeting last night. Even though the PILOT agreement for Church Towers was stricken from the agenda 3rd Ward Councilman Russo had something to say about the PILOT. He is a renter there and has testified in the past that his income is below the threshold for eligibility to live there.



My Commentary: As a progressive person politically, I have no issue with subsidized housing provided it is given to those who truly need it. This PILOT coming up for renewal is the perfect time to look into the details of the agreement to see if it is being properly enforced and if the money is being duly collected. There is no need for fear mongering and threatening legitimate tenants (those who need it) from displacement.

On the other hand I did take offence to Mr. Russo's remarks that seemed to imply a professional such as myself or others who pay their fair share of taxes, is engaging in class warfare for simply wanting to get the facts about the PILOT before moving forward. If his remarks were not in fact directed at someone of my mindset or background, then I will let it pass.

The Preliminary information that I have seems to indicate that Church Towers has 402 units and pays $463K in city taxes annually. That would mean an annual property tax payment of $1152 per unit. If this turns out to be wrong I will correct it. The discussion should be how much should the payment should be without impacting the maintenance of the building or impacting those on limited incomes adversely. This could be an opportunity to get more revenue for the City if it done with respect for those who need subsidized housing. To rile up the tenants of those buildings without getting all the facts first is engaging in the very sort of class warfare that Mr. Russo claims is being divisive in this town.

I have respected Mr. Russo's voting record recently and in the past but he is going down a slippery slope with this approach on this issue. Just my opinion. ◦
Share/Bookmark