Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Beth Mason Chimes in on Sale of HUMC- You knew she would!

Here is the latest email blast from Beth Mason 2nd Ward City Councilwoman on the HUMC...

NOTICE - Public Meeting on the Proposed Sale and Potential Closure of  Hoboken University Medical Center

On Thursday, July 21st, 2011, the NJ State Health Planning Board is holding a public meeting on a proposed sale of Hoboken University Medical Center.

Under the terms of the current proposal sought by Mayor Dawn Zimmer and her administration, the buyer would be required to retain only 75% of the current hospital workforce, leaving Hoboken taxpayers responsible for the full salaries and benefits of the remaining 25% (approximately 250 employees) based on a previous contract with the City.

Furthermore, the current sale proposal would require the new owner to continue operating as a healthcare facility for only seven years, after which the fate of HUMC is uncertain.

For some inexplicable reason, the Zimmer administration has limited negotiations for the sale of HUMC to a single buyer, despite indications that the group in question is more interested in acquiring land for future real estate development than in continuing to operate Hoboken’s only acute care facility.

Please attend this important meeting. All residents are invited to speak publicly on this important issue that will impact our community for years to come.

6-8pm Thursday - July 21st, 2011
Our Lady of Grace - 422 Willow Avenue, Hoboken