Thursday, September 17, 2009

Nathan Brinkman Enters Race For Hoboken Mayor

Here is a press release from Nathan Brinkman, co-founder of the Hoboken Republican club who has declared his candidacy for Hoboken Mayor......

NATHAN BRINKMAN ENTERS RACE FOR HOBOKEN MAYOR

Unbossed. Uncorrupted. Undaunted.

Nathan Brinkman, co-founder of the Hoboken Republican Club, yesterday joined the race for Mayor of Hoboken. Brinkman filed 173 signatures on nominating petitions at the Hudson County Clerk’s office.

"Because our property taxes are too high, because our quality of life isn’t as good as it could be, because our city government still spends too much, because our recent experiences with Mayors is proof that our leaders are still not open and transparent enough, today I filed the papers necessary to qualify for the ballot as a candidate for Mayor of Hoboken,” Brinkman said.

"Some say a mediocre quality of life is what you have to put up with to live in Hoboken. Some say corruption is a fact of life in Hudson County. Some say high property taxes are just part of the cost of living in New Jersey. Some say out of control spending is a problem all over the nation.

"I say, hogwash.

"I say there is no reason, no reason at all, that we cannot have a better quality of life.

"I say there is no reason, no reason at all, that we have to endure skyrocketing property taxes.

"I say there is no reason, no reason at all, that our city government cannot do more with less.

"I say there is no reason, no reason at all, that we must indulge corruption in city government or the hidden costs of crooked political machines.

"I am not a member of an organized political party – to paraphrase Will Rogers, I am a Republican in Hudson County.

"I am not a member of anyone’s political machine, I am not a foot soldier in any political leaders’ army, and I owe no allegiance to any bosses other than the citizens of Hoboken.

"I am unbossed, I am uncorrupted, and I am undaunted.

"I am an optimist. Recently married, with our first baby on the way, I must be.

"I believe we can make Hoboken a better place to live, work, and raise a family.

"I believe that, though it may sound trite, what unites us as residents of Hoboken is far greater than what divides us.

"I believe that campaigns can, and should, be civil discussions about the future, not the past – about our hopes and strengths, not our fears and weaknesses.

"I believe the time has come for a different kind of campaign – the kind of a campaign YOU would run, were you in my shoes, and I in yours.

"Over the course of the next 48 days, I plan to offer solutions to the problems we face. Ours will be a campaign dedicated to the proposition that a good idea is a good idea, no matter its origin, and dedicated to the proposition that government is there to do those things, and only those things, which we, its masters, choose to allow it to do in our name. I look forward to the campaign to come," Brinkman concluded.

My Comment:

Here are the 8 contestants running for Mayor.....

1) Dawn Zimmer: Current Acting Mayor and 4th Ward Councilwoman elected in third election in 2007. If she wins (in her third election for Mayor) she will have to give up her City Council seat. If Dawn were to lose she would retain her 4th Ward Council seat until 2011.

2) Beth Mason: Current Second Ward City Councilwoman. Won 2nd Ward seat in 2007 against Richard Tremitiedi. Came in 3rd place in Hoboken Mayor Race 1st round May of 2009. Beth too would have to step down from her council seat if she were the winner of the winner take all 3rd Hoboken Mayoral election of 2009. Out of the gate she has attack ads on Dawn Zimmer's dual office holding. Most people around town I have informally surveyed don't make a big deal about it since they know this situtaion is temporary.

3) Frank Raia: Recently lost bid for re-election for Hoboken School Board in April 2009. Lost election for third Ward councilman in 2007. Lost in 2005 in bid for Mayor. Also ran for Freeholder recently and lost. Should pick up some Cammarano supporters. Ran around town in run-off election calling himself "The Difference". Delivered around 300 absentee ballots for alleged felon Peter Cammarano in the June runoff elecetion. Talk about truth in communication. :)

4) Nathan Brinkman: Co-founder of the Hoboken Republican Club.

5) Patricia Waiters: She ran for City Council in the spring and carried the ubmbrella for Peter Cammarano in a semi-famous photo when he was arrested on corruption charges and brought to Newark for processing.

6) Kimbery Glatt: Resigned her position as Hoboken Municipal Court judge this week. Now she has decalred her candidacy for Hoboken Mayor.

7) Evereton Wilson

8) Sal Demeo

See Hoboken Now for further details. Here is the link:

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/hoboken/index.ssf?/base/news-1/12531687203200.xml&coll=3

Notable absense is either Terry Castellano or Mike Russo. It was Terry Castellano that just last week said that one od these two or another relative would run. Was a deal made? ◦
Share/Bookmark