Saturday, January 16, 2010

NFL Playoff Games Matchups and Predictions

Last weekend proved that I am no "Jimmy the Greek" as he was in his early days.I went a pedestrian 2-2 in my football picks for last week's wilcard games. I correctly had the Jets and Cardinals on the winning side of things but underestimated Baltimore and Dallas in their respective matchups. Well now time to dust myself off and give it a go for round two. Here are this week's NFL games:

Saturday January 16, 2010


Arizona 10-6 (Road: 6-2)


At


New Orleans 13-3 (Home: 6-2)

4:30pm EST TV: FOX

My Prediction: Arizona is a dangerous team as evidenced by last weeks thrilling offensive display against the Green Bay Packers that was the highest scoring NFL playoff game in history. The game featured Kurt Warner in one of the best playoff performances by a QB with 5TDs and only 4 incompletions. The game was  instant classic. New Orleans has lost three straight but their balanced attack could prove to be the difference in this game. I have them beating the Cardinals by 10 and the score for this game could approach Arena Football numbers. I like the Saints with the homefield on this one due to their running game over Arizona's. Having Drew Brees at QB doesn't hurt either.  Final Score: Saints 45, Cardinals 35.



Baltimore 9-7 (Road: 3-5)


At



Indianapolis 14-2 (Home: 7-1)

8:15pm EST TV: CBS

My Prediction:The Colts will win this game and the reason is simple: Peyton Manning. As great of a quarterback he is, he hasn't always lit up the playoff scoreboard statistically or won three Superbowls like Joe Montana but Peyton had one of his better years in 2009. I think Indy will find a way to squeak out a win. Baltimore is a solid 'rock em sock em' team and impressed me by throttling New England last week. With Balimore's run game being very productive that might limit the amount of chances that Manning has to score but I still see Peyton making the most of just enough of those situations to get the win. The first half will be a chess match bewteen Ray Lewis and Peyton Manning calling audibles and counter audibles and counter audibles to those counter audibles. Many of the snaps will go down to the last second. Final Score: Indy 24, Ravens 17.


Sunday January 17, 2010


Dallas 11-5 (Road: 5-3)


At



Minnesota 12-4 (Home: 8-0)


1:00pm ET TV: FOX

My Prediction:

This game is a toss up in my book given Dallas' strong showing last week against Philly. I think Dallas will get after Brett Favre and he will still make some great plays due to his grit. Romo will continue to do well and I expect it to be a well played game with both sides making some highlight film plays. If all the kings horses and all the kings men can keep the aged Brett Favre healthy enough to keep playing I give the edge to Minnesota. Final Score: Vikings 31, Cowboys 28.



NY Jets 9-7 (Road: 5-3)


At


San Diego 13-3 (Home: 6-2)

4:40pm ET TV: CBS

My Prediction: San Diego should prevail in this contest but the Jets will not make this easy. Phillip Rivers and Vincent Jackson will have a tough time connecting due to the presense of Darrelle Revis who is simply the best corner in football right now. The Jets will blitz and Phillip RIvers will have to make a lot of his throws under duress. I still see him making enough plays the keep the Sandiego offense moving and winning in a lower scoring affair. WR Malcolm Flyod of San Diego could have a breakout playoff game. Final Score: SanDiego 24, NY Jets 17.

Editor's Note: I know Jets fans will be disapointed with my last prediciton but take heart in that local comedian Adam Wade is feeling his oats in areas of NFL prognostication and has the Jets and the Cowboys in the Superbowl. ◦
Share/Bookmark