Thursday, February 19, 2009

Timothy Occhipinti - For City Council - His Website

As I reported recently, Timothy Occhipinti had filed his ELEC D-1 form for City Council at Large. I met him briefly last night and he gave me information on his website. As is my policy on this site, I give all candidates the opportunity to introduce themselves if they so choose on this site.

His campaign website is:

http://www.hobokenforchange.com/

Here is the link to the issues page on his site:

http://www.hobokenforchange.com/issues/

Here is the introductory message on the main page of his site:

Jan 7, 2009
My name is Timothy Occhipinti and I am running for Hoboken City Council on May 12, 2009. Hoboken is faced with many difficult challenges that are affecting all residents. One of the biggest issues is the ongoing budget crisis which has led to a 47 percent increase in property taxes.


Due to the inability of the sitting city council to pass 2009 budget, Hoboken’s finances are now in the hands of the state of New Jersey. Over the past seven years, Hoboken’s budget has increased from $53 million to $120 million. Hoboken needs responsible City Council officials who will look to reduce the current budget without creating a loss in services to the community.

I believe we also need to find new and creative methods to increase revenue without placing the burden on the residents of Hoboken. Hoboken can achieve a sound financial budget with the cooperation, open-mindedness, and resilience of its elected officials. Now is the time for leaders to emerge who will remain steadfast in their pursuit of leading Hoboken to a brighter future.
I am running to bring about the kind of change that will improve the quality of life for all residents of Hoboken. I will not be influenced by special interest groups or backroom politics. I will be an elected official you can be proud of. I am determined to run a positive campaign that will inspire residents to vote and make their voices heard.


This will be my first campaign running for an elected city official. I felt it was time to stop standing on the sidelines and take an active role in enacting real, positive change in our community. To this end, I have several goals for this campaign.
  • Raise awareness of the importance of voting in your local elections. The ordinances and resolutions passed by Hoboken’s government have a profound impact on your daily lives and you should have a say in the process.
  • Run a highly visible grassroots campaign that energizes voters. I feel that a voter should be excited with whom they are voting for - whether it’s their first or fiftieth time voting.
  • I want to understand the issues that are important to you. I encourage you to take my on-line survey (coming soon!), e-mail me and approach me at any time with questions or concerns that you may have.
  • I believe in honesty, integrity, and dedication and together we CAN make a difference for Hoboken.

Share/Bookmark