Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tom Vincent Chimes in - Cammarano Must Resign

Tom Vincent sent me this email to publish calling for Peter Cammarano's resignation:

For what it's worth, here's another voice calling for Peter Cammarano's resignation. Mine.

Reading the attachment to the criminal complaint filed against Peter Cammarano by an agent from the FBI, I was struck by how easily Peter could say whatever was necessary to accomplish his goals. To me, in an hour-long meeting at Maxwell's before the runoff, he was the great protector of Hoboken's neighborhoods.

He spoke convincingly, citing examples and facts along the way, about how he felt that new development was destroying the soul of our town. He asked for my support and, lacking that, my vote (He got neither, but he did make me reconsider). With Solomon Dwek, he was the pro-development expediter for the right people, those at the head of the line, and a ruthless politician who dealt with those who crossed him. The thing is, I can't believe either story line now. I can't give any more credence to his now famous "powder" line than to what he told me that night at Maxwell's. Regardless of the charges filed against him, we have now seen how duplicitous our new mayor really is and there is no route back to a more innocent time.

Whether he was performing for a contributor or speaking frankly, his words in that complaint have done irreparable damage. Peter Cammarano needs to step aside for the sake of our city. However, if the past is any indication, Peter Cammarano will do whatever is best for his political career, in this case trying to rescue it. As citizens we must all raise our voices. Recall won't be an available option until next July.

I applaud the conscientious souls involved with his administration who have stepped down already. These are difficult decisions and I appreciate the consideration that went into them. And my heart goes out to those who believed in him. If it's any consolation, you were taken in by a world-class performer. And I'm especially sorry for his family. I can't imagine how I would deal with something like this in my own family.

But we need to move on, and as long as Peter is our mayor that will be difficult if not impossible.

Tom Vincent
Former Candidate for Mayor of Hoboken

Note to the reader: In the runoff election for Mayor on June 9th Tom Vincent did not endorse either candidate officially. ◦
Share/Bookmark