Sunday, January 9, 2011

NFL Sunday Preview - Predictions

Well, my predictive abilities (if any) are not off to a good start with respect to NFL postseason games. I was right about about the Saints scoring points and the Jets and Colts being a close match up but did not get the winner right in either game yesterday and start off at 0-2 on my post season prognostications. Here is a chance to get to .500 and I might start by channelling a certain Greek (Jimmy that is).

The first game for Sunday is the Ravens at the Chiefs on CBS a 1 PM. Both teams like to run the ball and I see this being another close game potentially. The Ravens defense is as not as dominant as they once were but they are still formidable against the run in stretches. The Chiefs like to run the ball and they have an explosive back in Jamal Charles but they will pass as well with Matt Cassel hitting his explosive wide out in Dwayne Bowe who was a fantasy all pro this year with 15 touchdowns in the regular season.

The Ravens have Ray Rice who had a slow start to the season but has really stepped his game in the second half of the season as the Raven got back to an emphasis in their ground game. Joe Flacco at QB I see as being an x factor.

This game will feature two run first teams but some big plays will happen in the air as both defences will likely stack the box with 8 players on defense. I give the edge to the Ravens on the road in this one due to Joe Flacco's play making abilities and the veteran leadership of Ray Lewis who still has gas in the tank.

My prediction:

Ravens 27- Chiefs 17

For the second game which starts at 4PM there is a great matchup between the Packers and the Eagles. You have two great quarterbacks in Aaron Rodgers and Mike Vick and I expect an offensive show from both teams even though i will be chilly in Philly. The experts mostly seem to be leaning towards the Packers but the Packers don't have a running back like LeSean McCoy. The Packers have struggled with the run since losing Ryan Grant for the season and if the Eagle use McCoy effectively I think that will give them the balance they need to win this potential shootout.

Both Aaron Rogers and Micheal Vick will make big plays but the running of LeSean McCoy will likey make the difference. Aaron Rogers could throw for 400 yards and still lose. I am going against the grain with this pick and could certainly end of 0-4 this week with my picks. It has been fairly unpredictable season but that is what makes the NFL such a great sports product.

My Prediction:

Eagles 35- Packers 28 ◦
Share/Bookmark