Sunday, July 26, 2009

Dawn Zimmer Calls for Peter Cammarano to Resign

Dawn Zimmer Calls for Peter Cammarano to Resign

Dawn Zimmer sent this release out on Friday so I am playing a little catchup here.

Dear Friends,

I wanted to send a quick note to share my thoughts on the shocking and disturbing events that unfolded yesterday.

As I am sure you all know, Mayor Cammarano has been arrested and charged with accepting cash campaign contributions in exchange for his promise to expedite development projects.

I am stunned by this news, and concerned about our town. I have read the complaint against Mayor Cammarano, and while he is entitled to the presumption of innocence, these are very serious charges.

I have publicly urged Mayor Cammarano to resign because I believe it is in the best interest of Hoboken.

No matter how this matter is ultimately resolved, I do not believe that the Mayor can perform his duties while the matter is pending. His criminal defense will be extremely time-consuming, leaving him with insufficient time to manage the city's business.

In addition, the nature of the charges will, rightly or wrongly, compromise the perceived legitimacy of many of the important decisions that he will be called upon to make as Mayor.

Unfortunately, the Mayor announced today that he has decided not to resign, a decision at odds with his own "zero tolerance" policy that he referred to just two weeks ago when he demanded the resignation of a Housing Authority Commissioner under very similar circumstances.

I fervently hope that after he has had an opportunity to reflect more carefully about the situation, Mr. Cammarano will reconsider and do what is best for the community he is duty bound to serve.

If Mayor Cammarano does decide to change his mind and resign, then I, as City Council President, would become Acting Mayor, subject to approval by the City Council. Ultimately, a special election would be held and the people of Hoboken would choose our new Mayor.

I will be in touch soon with further updates.

Thanks.

- Dawn Zimmer
Hoboken City Council President ◦
Share/Bookmark