Friday, July 31, 2009

Note from Dawn Zimmer on likely Resignation of Peter Cammarano

I recieved this email from Dawn Zimmer regarding yesterday's announcement from NJ Governor Corzine that Peter Cammarano is expected to resign today. Here is her note to supporters:

Dear Friends,

As you may have heard, Governor Corzine stated today at a public event that he expects Mayor Cammarano to resign tomorrow.

Mr. Cammarano's lawyer issued a statement stating that he is considering resigning. I was in City Hall in a meeting with Ms. Tripodi when this news hit, and our phones began ringing with questions from reporters.

In light of Mr. Cammarano's likely resignation, I wanted to reach out to all of you with an update.

If Mr. Cammarano resigns, then I, as City Council President, will be sworn in as Acting Mayor sometime tomorrow. A special election will be held in November for the new mayor. As you can imagine, this is a surprising way to become mayor, but I am prepared to step up and guide Hoboken through this crisis.Thanks so much for your support. I will keep you posted throughout the day tomorrow.

- Dawn ◦
Share/Bookmark