Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ravi Bhalla makes official statement in press release

Ravi Bhalla, recently elected Hoboken City Councilman at large had made a brief statement last Thursday on the corruption charges facing Mayor Cammarano. Here is his official press release formally calling for Peter Cammarano to resign as Mayor:

Dear Friends,

I write to provide my views on the federal corruption charges against Mayor Peter J. Cammarano, III. First, I extend my heartfelt sympathy to the Mayor's family and the many residents who placed their trust in him.

Over the last four days, I have spent time with neighbors and friends, received phone calls and emails from constituents, and met folks at City Hall. There is a broad mix of emotions among residents, ranging from outrage, anger and frustration, to shock, sadness, and sympathy towards the Mayor's family. I share all of these emotions, and the time I have spent absorbing the feelings of various cross-sections of the community reaffirms my belief that Hoboken is a strong community and we will get through this situation in due time.

As I stated last Thursday, it is my strong belief that Mayor Cammarano should resign from office. Here is why: we all agree that this is a serious charge. We also agree that in a court of law, Mayor Cammarano is entitled to a presumption of innocence, which will carry through each stage of legal proceedings in this matter. However, what makes the Criminal Complaint against Mayor Cammarano more than a "mere charge" is the contents of a 9-page Attachment to the Criminal Complaint. This Attachment explains in great detail the factual basis underlying the Criminal Complaint. A review of this document demonstrates, in my judgment, a substantial evidential basis for the accusation against Mayor Cammarano. Additionally, the Attachment indicates that the factual basis for the accusation is not verbal allegations by a cooperating witness, but rather, a series of tape recorded conversations. These recorded conversations lend a high degree of credibility to the allegations against Mayor Cammarano and make it virtually certain, in my judgment, that he committed a federal crime while in office.

In addition to the legal implications of these taped conversations, I am also disturbed by the disrespect Mayor Cammarano displayed towards the citizens of Hoboken in these discussions, particularly against those who did not support him. The Attachment, along with my conversations with residents over the last three days, lead me to conclude that Mayor Cammarano's credibility has been damaged beyond repair, and he no longer has the ability to govern effectively as Mayor.

Accordingly, the people of Hoboken would be best served if Mayor Cammarano listened to the callings of Governor Jon S. Corzine, Assemblyman Ruben Ramos, several of my Council colleagues, members of his Transition Team, and many others, and tendered his resignation to the City Clerk as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Councilman Ravi S. Bhalla ◦
Share/Bookmark